Sunday, November 18, 2007
Croatia - Top 5 Essentials
Here are my top recommendations for Croatia:
* Walk the walls of the old town of Dubrovnik, getting an eagle-eye's view of the inner city, the outer islands, and the open sea
Walking the walls on a rare rainy day.
* Stop for a break at the "Hole in the Wall" where, once you literally walk through a small hole in the fortress wall, you'll find a pleasant spot to enjoy a beer and view the sailboats, nearby islands, and cliff jumpers
Look...a hole in the wall!
And the view from the other side.
* Buy fresh lavender, figs, olive oil, or handmade lace from any of the many stands selling local goods
Garlands of fresh figs and homemade brandies.
* Visit the Sponza Palace Historic Archives for a history of the city of Dubrovnik, and view photos of all the men and young boys who lost their lives while defending their hometown
* Try some of the local wines (Croatia is well-known for their wines)
* Take a dip in the cool Adriatic sea
Take a dip! Clothing optional.
* Walk the Placa-Stradun (main street) at night, from Big Onofrio's fountain at one end, to the Bell Tower at the other, stopping along the way for a slice of pizza and people-watching
Walking the centuries old stradun (main street).